Birth Injuries And Medical Malpractice In Seattle: Knowing Your Rights
Birth injuries are one of the most traumatic experiences any family can go through. A birth injury presents a lifetime of sufferings to infants, or worst lead to their death. Traumatic situations like these can occur with a single mistake and will have a significant impact on your life forever.
In this modern world, medical advances have been made to childbirth and pregnancy, and any parent would assume that the birth injury rate in Washington to be little to none. However, that is not the case. Birth injuries are in fact is surprisingly common across the country, including in Seattle. A lot are extremely serious while some ends in the heartbreaking and tragic loss of either the baby or the mother.
A traumatizing ordeal like this should not be endured by anyone, especially when it involves costly medical treatment and lifetime care as a result of a healthcare professional’s mistake or negligence that could have been avoided.
Unfortunately, medical malpractice is the main reason for most birth injuries today. There is no doubt that nurses and doctors are vital to our community. A lot of them are very responsible and good individuals and are always trying their best to provide their patients with the utmost care, but they can also make life-changing mistakes.
Why Do Birth Injuries Occur?
In most cases, birth injuries occur because doctors fail to recognize the red flags during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. Physicians are highly skilled and knowledgeable healthcare providers who have gone through extensive training to handle unforeseen and unexpected situations such as difficult birth procedures. However, there are instances when a doctor does not enough experience to handle such a crisis as it happens. However, this is not an excuse.
Performing an improper delivery procedure that results in childbirth complications is a valid cause for concern, and an investigation to the behavior of your healthcare provider should be administered. Trusting your nurse and doctor is essential, but listening to your body and the wellbeing of your baby is even more important.
You have the right to question your healthcare providers and advocate for your health and your infant’s. If you sense that something is not normal, it is recommended to ask an expert birth injury attorney in Seattle to investigate your case. Any nature of birth injuries are heartbreaking, and as a victim, you deserve compensation. All of us depend on healthcare professionals and their expertise, and it is imperative that they practice proper care especially when they’re bringing new life into this world.
Common Birth Injuries And Complications
Three out of every 100 births may involve some kind of severe birth injuries. While there are cases when natural conditions are the reason, most birth injuries, especially those that affect the brain, are due to the negligence and mistake of doctors and other healthcare professionals, as well as the hospitals during the process of delivery.
Here are some of the most common ones:
- Birth Asphyxia Cerebral Hypoxia. This is due to oxygen deprivation of your baby during or sometime before or right after your delivery and may lead to permanent brain damage and even death.
- Erb’s Palsy. Usually caused by difficult delivery, it is a nerve injury impairing and weakening the sensation and movement in the arm.
- Forced and Negligent C-Section. C-section deliveries are extremely dangerous for both mother and baby and will require the expertise and care of doctors. Any sort of error can lead to grave damage and may involve medical malpractice. There are also cases when it is done against the will of the mother. However, this may be your only option if you’re going through a high-risk pregnancy or delivery.
- Fetal Distress. Your child can sustain life-long injury when your doctor fails to regard and respond to any warning signs of this.
- This is when the mother experiences bodily distress and high blood pressure during delivery which can threaten both the baby and mother’s life. If left unchecked, it may lead to full eclampsia, birth injury or death.
- Breech Birth. This means first-feet delivery and can cause a wide array of medical issues.
- Shoulder Dystocia. There are situations when the shoulder of an infant gets stuck behind the pelvic bone of the mother, resulting in an urgent and critical life or death medical emergency.
- Injuries from Forceps. There are times when physicians use a forceps to help them during delivery. Extreme caution and diligence are required though because infants can sustain a catastrophic injury even at the slightest slip.